Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:03:28 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMBFS Unix to Windows End of Line Problem

At 12:40 AM +0100 1/3/02, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
>I don't know if FBSD supports "appatalk" or whatever it is called,
>the thing that supports MAC's, does that mean line-ends will be
>seen as a <CR> only if it does ?

There are two packages which would provide Appleshare file service
from unix servers to Macintosh clients.  One is called 'CAP', the
other is called Netatalk.  I suspect that Netatalk is used more
(at least on FreeBSD), but I personally have used CAP more.

CAP does have an option to translate between cr's and lf's, but in
my experience there are times when the heuristic for when to do
that translation is not always correct.  Ie, sometimes CAP thinks
a file is "text" (and does the conversion) when the file is in
fact binary, or CAP thinks the file is binary when in fact it is
text.  This is particularly easy to happen with the Mac as Mac
users may often use non-standard-ascii characters (like option-f,
or umlauts and accents over vowels).