Date:      Mon, 01 Nov 1999 11:21:11 -0600
From:      Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creative seems to open up SB Live

Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> This interesting article
>
>  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=99/10/29/2053221&mode=nested

This is good news, it would be even better news if the performance of this
card was better.

I've been doing some research into PC sound cards in an effort to find one
that performs at better than "for games" level.
My intention is to have a computer with digital I/O card using an external DAC.

This should isolate the noisy power supply of the computer from the analog path

and hopefully reduce the noise to imperceptible levels.

The SB live looked like the card to have until I found some test results that
showed some less than favorable results, specifically the digital I/O is listed

as "no better" than the analog! (30 hz to 15khz )

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/ct4620/index.htm

Actually I would be interested in hearing about people experience with
Digital I/O capable sound cards.

I have found several professional level cards with far more capabilities than
I looking for, and a far higher price tag to go with it.

The most promising card I have found so far is the MIDI man
DiO 2448.
http://www.midiman.com/