Date:      20 May 1999 01:49:40 -0400
From:      rme@nightfly.apk.net (R. Matthew Emerson)
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpt0: <generic printer> message shows up twice

Allan Saddi <asaddi@philosophysw.com> writes:

> After digging around, I found the problem: lpt.o is linked twice. I
> manually edited my /usr/src/sys/compile/xxxx/Makefile, removed the
> second reference to lpt.o and rebuilt the kernel... now lpt0 only gets
> probed once.
>
> That's the cause of the problem... I have no idea what the solution is. :)
> I guess only a config guru can know...

Well, I am not a config guru, but the problem appears to be an
unnecessary lpt line in sys/i386/conf/files.i386.  The lpt line
in sys/conf/files already does the job.  (I am assuming that
sys/conf/files is the right place for it, since that file appears
to be for non-machine-specific things.)

Deleting the following line from sys/i386/conf/files.i386 and
re-running config seems to solve the problem:

i386/isa/lpt.c                 optional        lpt     device-driver

-matt