Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:09:28 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 1:41 PM -0600 2002/11/17, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>  I said once a long time ago, that FreeBSD needs a group of volunteers
>>  willing to do their share at finding bugs - this has to be an organized
>>  group of people, not just a "go ahead and find bugs, no one is stopping
>>  you" sort of thing. Finding bugs in hardware has the same problems, and
>>  all developers that have jobs  that depend on the quality of  the
>>  product do "verification" on their products.
>

>     I think a dedicated team of QA people is a good idea.  Indeed, Mark
> Murray just yesterday (at BSDCon Europe 2002) convinced me that I need
> to participate in this kind of process for -CURRENT.  I would like to
> see this process formalized as an actual project within FreeBSD.

Me too.. I'm willing to organize it and get things going..

>     I am not a programmer, so I am limited in the number of ways I can
> contribute to the project.  Amongst almost all multi-person open source
> development projects, it has been my experience that there is a serious
> "glass ceiling" above the head of anyone who wants to contribute but
> doesn't write code.

You don't have to be a programmer to run software.  You just have to
know the end result to expect.

>     However, I have been doing various types of performance tuning for a
> while, and I can usually manage to set up environments where I beat the
> hell out of systems (such as I was trying to do for my talk last week at
> LISA 2002 and my talk yesterday at BSDCon Europe 2000). I would like to
> think I have at least some problem-solving ability, and that I could
> provide assistance in finding bugs, and with the help of other people
> who can program, we can get these bugs eliminated before the code ships.
>
>     Of course, we'd need to have two teams -- the people who test
> -CURRENT before it becomes -STABLE, and the people who test -STABLE
> before it becomes -RELEASE.  Hopefully, there would be some overlap, and
> some people could help test in both environments.

I think one team would do it - STABLE testing most of the time, and
CURRENT testing prior to a RELEASE.

>     Myself, I'm going to be testing on a single machine in my basement,
> at least for now.  It's the only FreeBSD-capable system I have (my
> wife's previous laptop, a Compaq Armada 4131T, w/ 48MB of RAM, a
> Pentium-133, and a 10GB hard drive upgrade I put in myself). Once the
> SPARC and PowerPC efforts come further along, I've also got an ancient
> Twinhead Twinstationg 5G (Sun SPPARCstation 5 clone) and an Apple
> PowerMac 7200/90 that I could potentially use for testing those
> platforms as well.

I may be able to run FreeBSD on a handful of machines for testing.  If
there's enough people to volunteer, I could set up a rack of systems for
this kind of work.

>     I would like to try running these things at least briefly on
> 4.6.2-RELEASE (since that's what is installed on that machine now), so
> that I can try to isolate the -CURRENT specific issues when I change the
> OS.  I got a copy of the 4.6 and 4.7 DVDs, one of which has the
> -CURRENT-DP1 image, and that will probably be my next jump. After that,
> I'll go to -DP2.

We can take this off list if need be, but I'd like to hear from anyone
interested in doing this.

Eric