Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:16:28 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@zen.nash.org>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but...

    >> The execl throughput test was a complete massacre, with Linux
    >> more than an order of magnitude faster.  Does anyone familiar
    >> with the internals of exec know why?
    >>
    John> Did you use the old linux shared lib scheme?  It is much
    John> faster to start-up than the new dynamic shared libs.

That'll teach me not to pay attention.  The benchmark as I pulled
it off of tsx-11 was kind enough to include binaries -- I relied
on ./Run to perform the build and run the tests but didn't notice
that it skipped the build.

Yes, recompiling with the newer shared lib scheme brought the two
systems close together (FWIW: 2.8 for FreeBSD, 3.1 for Linux).  Sorry
about the confusion.

Alex