Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 15:43:40 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minimum memory to install

On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 09:21:19AM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I was just trying to help someone who was having trouble installing.
> I suggested he ensure that he had sufficient memory to do the
> install.  He reported he could not find this information.  I
> searched, and I couldn't find it either.  I was looking in the
> handbook.  Eventually I resorted to google and found a reference to
> "minimum memory" at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.4R/errata.html.
>
> Is this information readily available?  I expected it to be somewhere
> early in the handbook.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.6-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT

1.2 Hardware Requirements

FreeBSD for the IA-32 requires an 80386 or better processor. The
sysinstall(8) installation program requires 16MB of RAM; after
installation, FreeBSD itself can be run in 4-8MB of RAM with a pared-down
kernel.

Maybe we should add something about it in the Handbook.

Marc