Date:      Wed, 2 Jan 2002 10:23:52 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        al011757 <al011757@hotmail.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha Java freebsd

> > Hello , I am running freeBSD 4.4 on an Alpha  machine , and I would like to install java
> > but when I try to make the
> > cd /usr/ports/java
> > make
> >  jdk-1.1.8. is only for i386, and you are running alpha.
> >
> > is there an easy way to install it ?
>
> There is no native port of the JDK for FreeBSD Alpha.  There probably isn't
> a lot of work required _if_ you know some Alpha assembly, but noone has had
> time or has stepped up to the plate to do this as yet.
>
> I believe Compaq are the only ones who have a JDK for the Alpha, it may
> work under OSF1 emulation, but I couldn't be sure.

It does, albeit *very* slowly.  (My 486 running Java outruns the Alpha
by a large margin).  You *must* have a JIT for things to work even
moderately acceptable.

Compaq donated an Alpha for the port (sitting next to me), so if there
is both ability and interest, I can make accounts available on the box
for the porting effort.  The Compaq JVM can be used to bootstrap a
native FreeBSD effort, if so desired.

Nate