Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 11:53:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Neil Hoggarth <njh@kernighan.demon.co.uk>
To:        Nuno Teixeira <nuno.teixeira@pt-quorum.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to 4-stable question

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Nuno Teixeira wrote:

> I have the 4.1 Release FreeBSD CD. I want to upgrade it to 4.STABLE and I
> don't know all the steps to do it.
>
> I installed the upgrade package and now I know that I can install packages
> from this stable version.
>
> My question is: this is the only thing that I need to do to upgrade my
> release version or should I have to do anything else?

The upgrade package only applies those changes to the release that are
needed to allow the current ports tree work on your system, it doesn't
upgrade all the parts of your system to 4-STABLE.

If you want to upgrade to 4-STABLE see the section titled "The Cutting
Edge" in the FreeBSD Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/). Once
you've synced your /usr/src tree with STABLE as described in the handbook,
make sure you read /usr/src/UPDATING.

Regards,

Neil.