Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 22:44:51 +1100
From:      aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   MUA as shell for mail-only accounts?

We have a group of people on cheaper mail-only accounts, either as
extras to go with another full account, or just so that they can access
POP3 here when connected via another ISP.

They cannot dial in, but recently they have been given shell eccess so
that they can use ssh and pine to check their mail when their pop
client is unavailable, or to delete that unwanted 25MB xmas card.

I fear it is only a matter of time before they start playing with
public_html directories and sitting on irc for hours, but for the
genuine travellers the ability to use a unix mailer occasionally is
important.

I'm thinking of setting up a mail program (pine?) as their shell so
that that's all they can use when they login. What I need to know is
how safe this would be, compared to the alternatives. Is someone
perhaps doing this already who can give some tips on software choice
and configuration to disable shell commands? Or is it a silly idea
anyway?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-