Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 14:34:38 -0700
From:      Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD vs Solaris

Sorry for the provocative title :)

I am looking at moving samba off of an E5000, and onto a PC (the E5000 is
needed for something else), and I'm wondering if anybody is running a
samba server this large on FreeBSD, and can offer some advice on what size
of machine I need?

The E5000 runs an average of 600 samba daemons (up to twice that at peaks),
and appears to require at least 1G resident memory just for samba.  An
attempt was made to move it to a Sunblade 100 (not my idea :)) with 2G
Ram, and the box just died (it had over 120 processes in the run queue,
99% cpu is sys and the TCP connection just timed out).

One of my major concerns is the FreeBSD VM vs the Solaris VM.  The E5000
has 4.5GB memory, and the scan rate averages around 2000 pages / sec with
jumps up to 5000-10000 pages / sec.  Prior to toning the VM on the E5000
processes would block for seconds waiting for page faults (the box
handles between 5 and 50 requests / second with an average backend data
set size of 4M, with about 500K being returned to the user [raster images]),
The problem is that the underlying filesystem is about 4TB (attached over
NFS), with random accesses across it all, so the filesystem caches are
useless.

Can a PC running FreeBSD handle that type of load?  Any advice on how
to configure and tune something like this?

This is a great chance to get FreeBSD into a multi-national data
warehousing / interp. company that only runs Sun!

--
Chad David        davidc@acns.ab.ca
www.FreeBSD.org   davidc@freebsd.org