Date:      Fri, 6 Nov 1998 08:22:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Horcicka <mhor5157@ss1000.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Widely implemented subset

Hi,
my question is not tightly related to FreeBSD but to documentation.
I certainly do know about attempts to make standard for unix programming
(POSIX, SUS etc.) but these documents tell what unix SHOULD look like
(...) and do not tell what existing systems REALLY look like.
Is there any document which sumarizes some widely implemented subset of
unix features? I think we all need something that tells us "If you use
function blabla you will successfully compile it (and it will behave
correctly) on the following systems (...) since their following versions
(...)". Is there any such document?

						Martin