Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2019 12:24:12 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing mksh in base

In message <20190125201519.GA77486@fuz.su>, Robert Clausecker writes:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 11:53:12AM -0800, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > >
> > > Note that ksh93 comes with a builtin user land from AT&T which should
> > > behave quite a bit differently from the FreeBSD userland.  So unless we
> > > want to maintain two slightly different userlands (one of which needs to
> > > be maintained in conflict with upstream), that has to be torn out, which
> > > kills one of the performance advantages of ksh93.
> >
> > Oh really? Explain please.
>
> Ksh93 is part of the AT&T ast distribution.  This distribution contains
> a large amount of standard programs and ksh93 would use them over the
> system's own programs if $PATH was set up correctly (ksh93 recognised a
> dummy path for "my own user land").  It does seem like they tore these
> out in the latter releases, so this concern is probably no longer
> important.

slippy$ pkg info -l ksh93-devel
ksh93-devel-2019.01.21:
	/usr/local/bin/ksh93
	/usr/local/bin/shcomp93
	/usr/local/man/man1/ksh93.1.gz
	/usr/local/share/licenses/ksh93-devel-2019.01.21/EPL
	/usr/local/share/licenses/ksh93-devel-2019.01.21/LICENSE
	/usr/local/share/licenses/ksh93-devel-2019.01.21/catalog.mk
slippy$

The official ksh93 is developed here: https://github.com/att/ast.

--
Cheers,