Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 05:16:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        msmith@FreeBSD.org, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dedicated disks (was: Dangerously Dedicated)

On 21 Nov, John Baldwin wrote:

>> I can see many people are passionate about this topic. So, spelling out
>> the issues and facts might help remedy this difficult situtation.
>> Per your comment, about spending "some time thinking about all the..",
>> I've assumed as much. I'm not considerig your opinion in this matter
>> any more _or_ less than anyones. (That includes Mr. Smith).
>
> The only problem is that the issues _have_ been discussed in excruciating
> detail many times.  I suggest you make use of the mail archives.

Mr. Smith, if the issues have been hashed out as you say, the perhaps
a document can be pointed that outlines these issue clearly.
Your suggestion, while a fine one, has un-seen harm of people
associating (harsh) discussion on the matter, rather than seeing
the bluk of the matter. I've stated my opinion, that does not
lessen yours. Could I expect that you might be able outline
yours points in an enumerate list or bulletize format?

>> alternatives, most we don't like. Yes, we can run a "booteasy"
>> style booter to help certain issues. However, we don't sell to
>> newbies and our systems are run by professionals.
>>
>> With that consideration, wouldn't it make good sense to use DD?
>
> Considering that some SCSI BIOS's crash during boot (even if they _aren't_ the
> boot disk) if you use DD, no.  We shouldn't be blowing users feet off for them
> quite so badly.  People should not use DD mode unless their machine will not
> boot without it.  It is not safe with respect to various BIOS's and other 3rd
> party utilities.

I see your points. Could I ask about more facts relating to this?
And if so, and those facts happen to be in the mailing list,
I would be happy to present your facts and arguements on www.svbug.com.
As such, other people could add facts - as they see them.

Do you consider this method to be of benefit to your points?