Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 95 12:32:07 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> > Large databases don't allow predictive read-ahead because they
> > typically can't be modelled using a model that assumes locality
> > of reference.
>
> Oops. I throught that database manager can accept multiple requests
> from clients in parallel and issue multiple parallel requests to
> the disk subsystem. Is this wrong ?

I wrote a big trieste on fourth and fifth normal format, preemption
models, work to do models, and process concurrency.  I tend to do that
when I see something that I've worked with in detail fly by.

Anyway, rather than mail a 4 page document, suffice it to say there are
some problems in the assumptions about "what concurrency is" built into
the question itself.

Consider: can you stripe the data that tells how you striped the data?

Consider also, that the per transaction will go up only inter-process
and not intra-process, and that an inter-transaction increase for a
single client would require that client to break the request/response
model defining the data streams as transactions in the first place.

Finally, a transaction will require multiple datum to establish a
relationship for a third normal format, and these requests can't
be any better interleaved in a striped environment than not without
changes to the process and kernel preemption models.

Striping will buy you multiprocess improvements only.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.