Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 22:13:50 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Removeable media support

As Brian Tao wrote:

>     I found several old mailing lists messages pertaining to using a
> Syquest removeable drive and an Iomega floptical with FreeBSD.  Are
> there any quirks to their operation?

Oooh, are the flopticals really by Iomega?  I've got hold of one (it's
only borrowed, i've attached it just out of interest), and it
identifies itself as ``Insite'' (which it is also labelled):

(bt0:6:0): "INSITE I325VM        *F 0387" is a type 0 removable SCSI 1
sd1(bt0:6:0): Direct-Access
sd1(bt0:6:0): NOT READY asc:4,0
sd1(bt0:6:0): Logical unit not ready, cause not reportable
sd1: could not get size
0MB (0 512 byte sectors)

I could not get it to write anything.  Neither on standard floppies
nor on flopticals.  I've once trashed a floppy with it, it required
some 20 formatting cycles to get it alive again...

Reading floppies happened to work.

The sd driver does not know anything about how to eject the medium.

I'm still interested to get it working, albeit with low priority.
There are also rumours that Iomega is producing a comparably cheap
removable-media drive (100 MB media, Bernoulli-type) these days, which
i'd consider as a nice backup medium for things like Mail.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/