Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2006 03:58:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drop snd_ from DRIVER_MODULEs...

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

 > So, the file name is the same, the only real user difference from this
 > change is that the cat /dev/sndstat says via82c686 instead of
 > snd_via82c686...  This is from the PCM_KLDSTRING part of the patch, and
 > I only changed it to match the kernel module name, so I don't have a
 > preference as to if it changes or not...
 >
 > also, w/o this change I couldn't of loaded the module the way I did
 > above, w/o the snd_ prefix...  It appears that kldunload doesn't
 > reference the kldxref file as you can't unload by module name.. :(

Ok, thanks for the detail.

 > I haven't completely thought about making pcm it's own device node..
 > but there was recently this whole discussion about ethX naming, and
 > I thought it a bit funny that for ethernet we believe that it's good
 > to keep the names diverse, yet w/ sound we don't..  maybe this is
 > because it's rare for a person to have multiple sound cards, but w/
 > uaudio, things are changing...

Indeed.  I'm still baffled by the bridge driver thing (eg sbc/ess) and
wonder why sbc can't figure that out, and then why devices are pcm* ..

 > We can always leave it be, and have special hacks hanging around...  I
 > just noticed some interesting inconsistancies and thought I'd bring
 > things together...

Well, don't count my misunderstanding as a vote :)

 > > Is it also proposed to remove eg acpi_ from the ACPI subsystem modules?
 >
 > No, since they are named acpi_*...
 > static driver_t acpi_video_driver = {
 >         "acpi_video",
 > [...]
 > DRIVER_MODULE(acpi_video, vgapci, acpi_video_driver, acpi_video_devclass,

Thanks.  I'll try asking a sensible question instead, after checking
archives and patches 5.4 to -stable re my half-broken /dev/speaker ..

Cheers, Ian