Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 1996 10:47:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When is 2.2 Estimated to be released?

On Sat, 9 Mar 1996, Darren Reed wrote:

> I don't think LILO is anywhere near as good as booteasy.
> For one, there's only a Unix/Linux interface, AFAIK.
> Another, is LILO doesn't give a menu (by default).
>
> I can boot everything but Linux with booteasy, across two HD's.
> Why do we need LILO ? :-)
>
> darren

BootEasy is much better than LILO, especially since it automagically
adapts to new operating systems as you add/remove them.  With Linux, you
need to reinstall LILO every time you build a new kernel, for God's
sake!  In fact, even with Linux, I'd rather use booteasy in the MBR, and
pass it over to LILO in the Linux root partition to boot that operating
system only.

But that is different from what Archie and I were saying, namely that
even DOS has a better FDISK than FreeBSD!  That is far more important
than a mere boot loader when it comes time to add/remove partitions.

---Jake