Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 15:25:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Christian Fortin <cfortin@ec.camitel.com>
To:        Dev Chanchani <dev@wopr.inetu.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Power

On 15-Nov-97 Dev Chanchani wrote:

>We had an extended power outage last night. After realizing that our UPS's
>would not keep our network up for the black-out, I ran to sears with a
>credit card and bought a Craftsman generator.
>
>My lesson in power began :)
>
>I was wondering if anyone has been through this and could help me on a
>couple of points:
>
>We have our servers, switches and routers plugged into APS UPS's (600's
>and 650's). The UPS's are plugged into surge protectors. The surge
>protectors are plugged into 15 AMP 12 guage 100 ft extension coards. We
>ran the extension cords (took them out of the wall) and plugged them into
>the generator. The 650 UPS could not take it, it was flipping between
>generator power and UPS power every second. So... my questions are as
>follows:
>
>1. Can you plug a UPS -> Surge protector -> generator
Yes but you miss a stage:

        generator -> Surge supressor -> Line conditioner -> UPS

>2. Are there any specifics I should look for when planning the power setup
>of new servers and racks.

You must have at the end, au full beautiful sine wave!

>3. How much output does a genarator need per server (as a rule of thumb)?

Depend of the server, but you can take 700VA oer server.

>4. Was the UPS switching from internal power to external power because the
>generator power was fluctuating, not enough power, etc?

Put an oscilloscop on the line, you will probably see then the output of your
generator have many harmonic. (many peak or garbage on the sine wave)
Your UPS detect these harmonic and go battery ON-Line.

>If anyone has experience with this type of stuff, any help and information
>would be greatly appreciated.

The more simple way to resolve all your problem is:
Buy a true UPS who include surge supressor and Line conditionner.
I use UPS from Best Power. model Ferrups. This UPS include all what you need for
make your job. And it include a CPU that you can log in via RS-232.
Best have his shutdown software (daemon) that compile very easyly on FreeBSD.
(just to take the Sun O/S Makefile)
You can program all the feature inside the UPS...
But in first, double check your generator, you can't use it if
the voltage regulator inside the generator is not a good one.
You must have an oscilloscope to check it!

>Thanks in advance!
>
>PS: To anyone who does not have experience in this, you might want to take
>a look, because its not fun to learn these things in total darkness in a
>ice storm.. ;)

:-)
   I know....

----------------------------------
E-Mail: Christian Fortin <cfortin@ec.camitel.com>
Date: 15-Nov-97
Heure: 15:25:36
Electro-Conception        tel:(418) 872-6641          |
3665 Croisset             fax:(418) 872-9198          |
Quebec,P.Q.               www.ec.camitel.com/ec       |
G1P-1L4                   |           /--|<|--WM--|(--J
                                      \----1
                                          ---
                                           -