Date:      Fri, 04 Dec 1998 21:07:35 +0100
From:      Dermot McNally <derm@ibm.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New drivers and install floppy space

Wilko Bulte wrote:

> I see things like:
>
> # KTRACE enables the system-call tracing facility ktrace(2).
> # This adds 4 KB bloat to your kernel, and slightly increases
> # the costs of each syscall.
> options         KTRACE          #kernel tracing
>
> and
>
> # This provides support for System V shared memory.
> #
> options         SYSVSHM
>
> in GENERIC. I'd also say you could do without things like procfs.
>
> In other words, maybe an INSTALL kernel is in order? (Ducks for cover)

Alternatively (at the risk of really annoying those responsible), if the
GENERIC kernel on the boot floppy is getting low on space, why not
change things so that booting from CD starts a kernel with more drivers
in it, while booting from floppy gives you a more minimal set?
Obviously the floppy-based kernel would have to contain those drivers
most commonly needed on older hardware that wouldn't support booting
from CD...

Dermot