Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 1995 12:11:42 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        Paul Richards <paul@isl.cf.ac.uk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alias ( secondary IP ) for Ethernet Ifaces in FreeBSD

>> 		Hi there folx,
>>
>> 	Is it working ?
>> 	If yes - how can one set it up ? What's the correct format for
>> 	the command ? Should it be reflected somehow in ifconfig output
>> 	or netstat ?
>
>Co-incidentally I've spent the last few days playing with this and
>after talking with Garret, who explained a few problems I was
>seeing, my conclusion is that it works but it needs some time spent
>on it to make it more useable. A netstat -i will show up the alias
>but I plan to look at revamping ifconfig to be more alias friendly
>after 2.0.5 goes out.
>

>> 	For example , I have ep0 iface and I want to assign the
>> 	secondary( alias) IP address to it .
>> 	What command should be issued ?
>>
>> 	ifconfig ep0 alias 199.199.199.22

I've read several messages in this thread and can't get it to work.
SOMETHING shows up with netstat -in but I can't ping it.  I've tried

ifconfig ed0 204.141.95.2 alias      (This takes but doesn't work)

and

ifconfig ed0 alias 204.141.95.2       (I get "File Exists" here)

Has anyone figured this out yet?

Dennis