Date:      Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:43:59 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        alden@math.ohio-state.edu (Dave Alden)
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bridging and multicast (in FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE)

> Hi,
>   Has anyone had any trouble (or success for that matter :-) using the
> builtin bridge(4) with multicast packets?  I'm running 3.2-RELEASE.
> When I run tcpdump on a Sun that is behind the bridge, I get the
> following (note that both machinea and machineb are on the 'outside'
> of my bridge):

hi,

this is a known (to me and one other FreeBSD'er in the UK at least
:) problem -- the protocol stack does some NTOH*() on the packets
passed to the local stack. Because mbufs are shared, if there is
a local receiver for multicast traffic this might cause the bridged
packets to be scrambled before they go out.

A solution (which i think is implemented on my local version but
i haven't committed yet 'cause of lack of time) is to do an m_pullup()
of enough stuff so that the headers are kept in a separate place.
There is a performance penalty of course in doing that, but
correctness is more important in these cases...

	cheers
	luigi
  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====