Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 21:23:59 +0200
From:      Erik Bakke <erikhb@bgnett.no>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHC SCSI errors

Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> Another possibility that Matthew Jacob brought up is that the drives
> may be performing thermal recal.  The Seageate rep once told us that
> their newer drives perform recalibration on a per-track basis which
> only blocks for ~250ms.  Perhaps he lied.  You can certainly try
> bumping up the timeout values in the scsi_da driver (try 1 minute) and
> see if this addresses your problem.

I compiled a new kernel today, with the timeout set to 120 seconds, but
the problem persists.  For each SCSI ID that is inquired at boot it
gives me 5 errors and moves on to the next ID.  When it has scanned all
the IDs it continues to boot normally.

However, both the SCSI BIOS and other OS's are able to use the drive
without problems, so it seems to me that the problem lies somewhere
within the CAM subsystem.  I have too little experience with CAM to tell
for sure, though.

I'll try one of the boot floppies with CAM-enabled kernels and see what
happens.

Thanks for the help so far, anyway.

---
Erik H. Bakke