Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:12:06 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mysql: a lot of lost connections...

Quoting Tom <tom@uniserve.com>:

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2000, Milan Salajka wrote:
>
> > > Milan,  4.1.1 Release has different thread bugs,  at least for me
> > > MySQL crashed randomly about once per week.
> >
> > 4.2-STABLE doesn't work, latest release (4.2) doesn't work,
> > previous release (4.1.1) has bugs too... uff, what is the
> > recommended FREEBSD version for MYSQL ? LINUX ?
> > many people use APACHE, PHP & MYSQL trio on
> > FreeBSD, but it seems, that RELENG_4 isn't good choice.
> >
> > my 'upgrades': 4.2-stable -> 4.2-release -> 4.1.1-release
> > when it will end ? ;o)))
> >
> > Milan
>
>   As has been mentioned on this list, you can use 4.2-STABLE, but you
> must
> change the compiler.
>
>   4.2-RELEASE has a known mutex bug that was discussed on this list and
> fixed about two days after the release.  Since this was a well-known
> bug,
> why on earth did you even bother with 4.2-RELEASE?
Today I've checked the ERRATA _again_, still no signs of this bug.
We're hopefully not trying to hide bugs like some other *BSD folks tend to do
sometimes?
New users ask in -questions or -stable and receive and answer - oh, yeah,
sure, it's known bug. But "known" to who? It's not in the ERRATA, how one's
suppose to know it?
Can someone add it to errata? Should I create a PR for that purpose?

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]