Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:58:11 -0400
From:      Travis Mikalson <bofh@terranova.net>
To:        Ernie Elu <ernie@spooky.eis.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Squid 1.1.16 breaking under load

Ernie Elu wrote:

> Anyone had squid 1.1.16 break under load?
> I am keen to know if anyone else has had the same problem, or is it
> just unique to my server in which case I will set up a fresh drive
> and swap it out.

Yes, it just started happening after I upgraded to 1.NOVM.16 and hasn't
happened yet in the last 36 hours since I upgraded to 1.NOVM.17.

I think it was a problem they found and fixed:

Changes to squid-1.1.17 (October 19, 1997):

        - Fixed ftpget null pointer coredump for mime encodings.
        - Fixed setuid() bug when creating swap directories.  Now
          change to 'effective_user' before making dirs.
        - Fixed cachemgr.cgi to give 'unknown host' message if
          gethostbyname() fails.
        - Fixed extra disk read() bug for swapins.  Now a disk
          read calls back immediately if any data was read instead
          of trying to fill the 8k buffer.
        - Fixed asciiHandleConn().  The 'while (1)' loop broke things
          badly under very high loads.  Limit to 10 times through
          the loop, or until RESERVED_FD limit is reached.

I'd suggest upgrading to .17 and see if the problem ceases.

-T
--
TerraNovaNet Internet Services - Key Largo, FL
Voice: (305)453-4011