Date:      Thu, 05 Jun 1997 11:54:09 +0100
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        sweeting@neuronet.com.my, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help pls : how to optimise mail server response

At 04:39 05/06/97 +0800, sweeting@neuronet.com.my wrote:

>The problem is that they are having a lot of difficulty
>collecting mail from the mailhub I set up for them
>on a P166 FreeBSD box with 64 MB RAM.

>Een over a LAN, when I ping the FreeBSD box, the very
>first request _always_ times out.
>(Almost as if the machine is waking up)
>
>So, the only causes of trouble I can think of are :
>
>1) network card. (it's a 3Com).
>   which do you all recommend ?

Not impossible. I've had strange timeout problems on first connect with
3Coms, but the "_always_" part makes me uncertain about this.

>2) DNS -  is handled by a DEC Alpha 500 (runnign DU) which is
>   possibly in need of RAM (it's handling mail, and 4 webservers, X term,
>   and DNS for 50 domains.... somebody once told me that each domain
>   should have 1 MB RAM.)

This seems quite likely. I would definitely move your DNS to the FBSD box,
or at the very least set up a cacheing slave to your existing one..

>3) Jammed network at the ISP

Not impossible ;-) but this isn't likely because you're getting the same
problem on your LAN.

>4) I configured it inefficiently (config files below)

We'd need to see /etc/hosts.conf and /etc/resolv.conf on the FBSD host for
clues about whether the DNS is to blame.

Regards,

Robin.
Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/