Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2016 16:49:08 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve: zvols for guest disk - yes or no?

Patrick M. Hausen wrote on 2016/11/16 15:47:

[...]

> Another thing I'm pondering is: wouldn't it be better to
> run on UFS so you can dedicate as much memory
> as possible to VMs?

If you have machine with "small memory" and can't expand it (e.g. Xeon
E3 older then v5 can take 32GB max) then you are better to use UFS. But
if you have machine which can use more memory it is better to buy some
additional memory modules and use all features of ZFS (replication,
snapshots, zvols or quotas etc.)

So it depends on your workload and HW possibilities.

And as always - the best way is to do you own benchmarks for your
workload. I did it in the past with UFS / ZFS under VirtualBox machines
and figured out that SSD as ZIL / L2ARC is almost useless for our setup.

Miroslav Lachman