Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:17:58 -0400
From:      Jeffrey Ehrenkrantz <jehrenkrantz@whyy.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ouch perhaps we need an advertising committee!

It may be instructive for those who have not read the artical in Oct 7'
PcWeek to do so!
it can be found @ http://www.pcweek.com/opinion/1007/07mach.html

It seems that the Linux camp is getting some extra help from
Bill Machrone. Perhaps we need to all send in a dollor or two
and have some of the core team talk to him.  It seems to me although
the several books on the market are reallly great! We need to produce one
that is 3 inches thick and have it main streamed so that FreeBSD gets the
approiate following of the masses it so richly deserves.

And does anyone know if the following about SYN attacts is really
true?....from the article

This spirit of cooperation has yielded some surprising benefits
               for Linux users. Linux became the first server platform with a
               workable defense for SYN attacks, the hacker's trick of tying
               up a server by sending a continuous barrage of packets. Linux
               International (http://www.li.org) now serves the needs of users
               and provide information and links to software and support, and
               it has the backing of big (and small) companies. Linux is rapidly
               becoming one of the most popular Unix variants, especially on
               Web servers. It's robust, fast and capable. Recent
               compatibility enhancements let you simply recompile most Unix
               programs for Linux.

..je