Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 14:01:44 +0000
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe <mitayai@aecinfo.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MySQL 322 port

Will Mitayai Keeso Rowe wrote:

> Hiya...
>
> i'm running a 2.2.8-stable system with the latest stable-src and ports dists via cvsup (as of noon
> today EDT). I've completely removed perl and mysql and am trying to reinstall them via the ports
> collection, but mysql keeps whining that it wants a perl of a greater version that the one in the
> ports collection. Any idea why that is?
I have MySQL 3.2.2 installed fine on my 2.2.7-STABLE. I
built it from the ports collection too.

First, what verison of perl _are_ you running?

in sh:

for f in `whereis perl`; do if [ -x $f -a -f $f ]; then echo
$f ; $f -version | grep version; fi; done

will get you all the versions of all the perls that whereis
finds - but check /us/local/bin anyway ;).

IIRC, the 'BSD system perl in a lot of 2.2.X is perl 4.x.
This is set in /etc/make.conf, BTW. It was a long time ago,
but I recall hacking /etc/make.conf to point to
/usr/local/bin/perl (coz that's the one the port builds),
because a make world kept shafting my perl 5 with perl 4
before I found out what was happening.