Date:      Mon, 26 Aug 1996 17:14:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

In lists.freebsd.isp you write:

>> > Use MFS for your news spool partition. :)
>> >
>> > You *have* to write them down sometime unless you have gigabytes of
>> > battery backed memory.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> Of what practical value or use is writing back data which will never be
>> looked at?

>Maybe I'm confused, but I see the discussion talking about ATIME writes,
>and normal writes, and there being no distinction made between when you
>are talking about one or the other.

>> Think about it:  if you were to unmount your news spool and remount it -ro,
>> nnrpd would continue to work just fine because NOTHING ever looks at the
>> file atime value (which FFS can't/won't modify if you mount -ro)... and if
>> the only reason you are doing an update is to write back the modified atime,
>> what the hell is the value of doing the write?

>POSIX compliancy. :)

Im looking at replacing our news server with a huge FreeBSD system, and was
wondering why not have a fstab options (noatime,nomtime) that disables the
writing of [AM]TIME data?  That shouldnt be *too* difficult to add..

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich