Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 16:43:15 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Christian Jacken <christian@jacken.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which version of FreeBSD to choose / secure shell / OpenBSD

Christian Jacken wrote:

> Hi friends@freebsd.org,
>
> possibly I did overlook something, but for which version of FreeBSD (if
> possible please include the URL) should I look for if I want to install a
> very stable version of FreeBSD on an remotely administered webserver in the
> US (I'm in Brazil)?

4.0 or 4.1.  The 4.1 disks should be available Real Soon Now (tm).

> Which secure shell could I run on this server without infringing any US
> patents/copyright laws?

OpenSSH.

> Do you think that OpenBSD has a real advantage over FreeBSD because of
> better cryptography/safety?

This is probably not the right forum to ask that question.

If you're not familiar with how to go about securing a BSD system, the
answer is yes.  The OpenBSD "secure by default" installation is designed
to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot if you don't know what
you're doing.  If you do have a good idea how to secure a BSD system, and
spend some time turning off services you don't need on a FreeBSD system
and/or installing secure alternatives, it is as secure as OpenBSD.