Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:28:05 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenGL

joeo@cracktown.com:
 |Matthew N. Dodd:
 |> I dunno, I've seen a middle of the road K7 pull down over 1500fps with a
 |> GF2MX (Under Linux of course.)
 |
 |Yeah, I'm impressed with the nvidia cards too, when they work, under
 |linux.  ...
 |
 |On the other hand I hear a lot of cussing during Friday evening fragfests
 |when lockups occurs in the cubes next to mine.  Especially after either a
 |new linux kernel is released and/or a new set of nvidia drivers is
 |released...  That's not to imply my setup is lockup free itself, and the
 |former observation is probably more a reflection of the upgrade mindset
 |the surrounding users have...

No, I think your first assumption is probably on-target.  I've read and
heard many Linux users griping about the instability of the NVidia Linux 3D
drivers, some who aren't upgrade maniacs.  I know some NVidia/Linux users
personally that forgo HW 3D in Linux completely and run the stock XFree86
stuff to gain stability in X for their Linux system.

Yeah, 1500fps would be cool!  But I gladly take less to have my system
stable in FreeBSD (stability is the main reason I stick with FreeBSD
anyway).  And where bugs occur, I can take solice in that my hopes for
patches aren't all hanging on a few Matrox engineers, but on everyone in
out there in Open Source land running XFree86 with a Matrox card.

My point isn't to "bash NVidia" here, but just to second that the
NVidia/Linux 1500fps currently doesn't come without a stability trade-off,
whose resolution is in completely in NVidia's hands.

Randall

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb@nc.rr.com