Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 00:29:05 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 12:54:33PM -0700, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I'm hyper-caffinated right now, but how the hell does this protect
> users if the developers' boxes are infected?
>
> Basically Joe Random MS coder builds the final release EXE/DLLs
> on his infected computer and how exactly does this intracate,
> but completely useless handoff proceedure purge that virus?
>
> *boggles*

When the so called 'silver' master is tested, in the review process.
They *do* test their releases, don't they?

Even if they do test them though, how do they make sure that a virus triggered
on a far future date is found and eliminated is beyond my imagination.

But all this is just crap.  Why try to find out about virii, after they have
been introduced into the system and not make a system that no virus can
attack?  (Yeah, I know we all folk know about pro-active security.  I just
didn't want to make it look like I'm opposed to Alfred's opinion.)

*back in my dark corner*