Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:51:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@mail.allcaps.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>, <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NFS lock failure (was Re: FreeBSD 5.0 as a desktop 'failure' report)

Folks,

Could someone *please* take a look at the NFS lock packets *on the wire*?
Without this, it becomes significantly harder to debug the failure.

"NFS locking doesn't work" isn't useful information.  What version of
Solaris?  What version of NFS?  UDP or TCP?  What portrange?  Did the two
machines negotiate the correct versions?  Did rpcbind work things out
correctly?  Which side hung (Solaris or FreeBSD)?  What actual commands
and messages got transmitted?

If you *really* want this fixed, go get the Connectathon 2002 test suites
for NFS, run them, and report the failures as bug reports.  Use the link:
http://www.cthon.org/nfstests.html to find the Cthon 2002 tests.

As a side note, FreeBSD-current used to be the best of the open-source
systems with respect to NFS compliance.  At one point, it passed all the
Connectathon 2001 tests.

-a