Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 19:16:15 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Aled Morris <aledm@routers.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTN Emacs users; new Zile release

> On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > I think you misunderstand.  This doesn't replace vi and never did.
> > ee is a *different* editor, for a different audience, and the fact
> > that you symlink it to vi on your own box is completely and utterly
> > irrelevant to that fact. :)
>
> I wish EE's default was Emacs keybindings though - rather than "yet
> another" set of made-up keystrokes [aside: OK, flame me, they're standard
> from some popular package with which I am not familiar, right?]

Probably 8)

Actually, I have been meaning to put "dte" forward for some time now.
It's comparable in size to ee (external help file, erk.), and has a
very lenient license ("please credit the author").  In addition, it
uses the Worstar key set and has assorted hoopiness builtin for dealing
with slow lines (it dates from HP3000 days originally).  The only barf
I have with it is that it eats trailing whitespace (stupid!).

Thousands of Monash internees will recognise it, as it is the standard
editor on campus (and much better than the vile Ludwig that was the
flavour around here).  If 'ee' is loathed for reasons other than that
it is "not vi" and "not emacs", maybe dte would do?

mike