Date:      Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:03:44 +0100
From:      Dimitry Andric <dimitry@andric.com>
To:        lee sheng <geek00l@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6 Released BTX loader issue

--------------enig176492396083889D9CDAA037

[redirecting to -stable, where this belongs]

lee sheng wrote:
> I'm trying to have clean install FreeBSD 6.0 released in my X41 thinkpa=
d by
> using the cd, however I have problem while booting it in thinkpad X41 w=
hen I
> load it using usb combo drive. The BTX loader keeps looping and halted
> someway and I have actually seen this report from previous post but it =
is
> not yet been fixed even till the FreeBSD 6.0 release.

Indeed, FreeBSD's BTX loader doesn't seem to support any USB devices.
 It also dies while booting from a USB stick, for example.

> I would like to know the status and what's actual problem or is there a=
ny
> workaround.

In the end I gave up trying to install FreeBSD on my X41, after having
tried all kinds of things.  Now it runs Linux and OpenBSD without a
hitch. ;)

Then again, I didn't have a UltraBase docking station, which seems to
contain an ATAPI DVD/CD station.  You might be able to bootstrap with
that.