Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 12:57:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
To:        bminazzi@denverweb.net, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI hard drives.

On Fri, 23 May 1997 13:10:27 Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@denverweb.net> said:
>I am doing a quick little survey of who prefers what and why, regarding
>SCSI hard drives.
>
>Any particular  brands, models, etc.
>Also, horror stories, what to avoid, which vendors give the most greif,
>etc.
>
>I Don't want to start a religious holy war here, but would like some
>opinions from people who put these things through the wringer on a daily
>basis.

I've heard alot of good things about seagates, but don't any in operation
at the moment.

The 2 brands that I have used alot of are Quantum and Micropolis.  The
Quantums, mostly Empire series, are an odd breed.  When they're working
they're fast and stable.  When they die, I've never had a problem with
the factory replacing them.  However, out of 5 empires, I've had to
replace 3.  The micropolis drives, mostly older 19xx 5.25" and 4xxx & 2xxx
3.5" scsi's seem to be impervious to the load I throw at them.  The only
one of them I've killed was an older 1908 1.6GB drive.  I haven't had
to interact with the Micropolis folks since the buyout/ownership change,
so I don't know how they are to deal with.

I like the Quantums, the company is nice to deal with, but I think
that I'll be trying the Seagates, next.

John

John T. Farmer			Proprietor, GoldSword Systems
jfarmer@goldsword.com		Public Internet Access in East Tennessee
dial-in (423)470-9953		for info, e-mail to info@goldsword.com
	Network Design, Internet Services & Servers, Consulting