Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 15:28:12 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion about script to update /etc, etc.

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 11:42:43PM -0800, Studded wrote:
> > One of the things that has been often requested is a method of
> > automatically updating the files installed by /usr/src/etc/Makefile for
> > the user. I have developed the following system based in part on the one
> > in Nik Clayton's make world tutorial.
> > http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html
>
> It is still easier to do this correctly if you base yourself on having
> a pristine version of the initial etc files available,

	There are more files to be considered besides what's in /etc.

> and use 'merge' to do the actual merge.

	My concern with this was that there are so many different permutations
possible (to get an idea, consider the case of someone who's updating a
2.1 system who has to make the /etc/sysconfig -> /etc/rc.conf change)
that a single unified method of making the changes for the user was not
possible. I felt that by eliminating the files that obviously do not
need to be dealt with by hand (they will either be installed as is or
deleted) what remains would not be so great a challenge for the user.
The people who've helped me test it have generally concurred with my
opinion.

> This can be extracted from the CVS repository, but the users that have
> that available probably isn't the primary target (except if they have
> the CD-ROM, of course... :-)

	Heh, well, obviously we want something that will not require access to
the repository.

> Jordan - what's the chance of automatically getting a pristine copy of
> the /etc directory stored along the actual one, for later upgrades?
> Just making sysinstall copy all files in /etc into /etc/pristine on
> initial install should make good upgrades much easier...

	I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest