Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 14:13:41 +0900
From:      horio shoichi <horio@acm.org>
To:        David Babler <root@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I got spammed from my localhost..

David Babler wrote:

> On Thu, 4 May 2000, Jim Durham wrote:
>
> > I discovered when I went to read my e-mail this evening a bunch of
> > mail from my Mailer-Daemon for non-existant addresses and such for
> > mail that I did not send.
> >
> > I found that someone has been relaying through my sendmail all day
> > long. He is appearing as "localhost" which is an allowable address
> > to relay in my access database for sendmail.
>
> You have two significant errors. First, your sendmail is operating as an
> Open Relay, which is why you are or were hammered by spammers. You're also
> likely to show up on one or more blacklists because of that, though you
> currently aren't on the major ones. The second is that your configuration
> also makes you an ANONYMOUS relay, because you're resolving all legitimate
> SMTP contacts as coming from localhost. See the complete relay test
> message below... the significant line (other than the fact you're an open
> relay in the first place) is:

>         by w2xo.pgh.pa.us (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id QAA46683
>         for <postmaster@rigel.orionsys.com>; Fri, 5 May 2000 16:57:08 GMT
>         (envelope-from nobody@w2xo.pgh.pa.us)
>
> Note that sendmail is reversing the incoming contact, which should be
> "Rigel.orionsys.com [205.148.224.9]" in this case, to "(localhost
> [127.0.0.1])". This is why it relays; sendmail believes all email
> originates locally regardless of reality. Looks like a DNS/hostname
> problem.
>
> -Dave
>
> ---- Test Message

Sorry to ask this, but did you send the test message without mangling
'From ' ? Following message appeared in my mailbox that took me a few
'serious' seconds.

horio shoichi

: From - Sat May  6 12:06:10 2000
: From: nobody@w2xo.pgh.pa.us
: To: postmaster@rigel.orionsys.com
: Subject: test for susceptibility to third-party mail relay
: Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 16:56:58 GMT
: Sender: dbabler@rigel.orionsys.com
:
: This is a test of third-party mail relay, generated by the
: "rlytest" <URL: http://www.unicom.com/sw/#rlytest>; utility.
:
:     Target host = w2xo.pgh.pa.us
:     Test performed by <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
:
: A well-configured mail server should NOT relay third-party email.
: Otherwise, the server is subject to attack and hijack by Internet
: vandals and spammers.
:
: For information on how to secure a mail server against third-party
: relay, visit <URL: http://maps.vix.com/tsi/>.
:
: Relay: 206.210.78.220
:        200005050956
:
:
:
:
: with "unsubscribe freebsd-security" in the body of the message