Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 14:49:22 -0400
From:      Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

On Tue, Jul 22, 1997 at 10:06:24AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Installing NetBSD would probably not be a bad idea at all, though if
> you're looking for an environment from which to bootstrap your efforts
> (that being why there are 2 drives in those machines with only one
> actually populated :-) then you're probably best off with what you've
> got installed on it right now - Digital UNIX.  DUX is a stable
> development platform, it has a decent toolchain (and a compiler which
> generally produces better code that gcc at present) and all the X
> frobs you could possibly want (plus some you probably won't, like CDE :-).

If you want a *real* stable X, use DUX.  I did parts of the Linux-alpha
port and the servers are a real #$%^& to get working.  XFree86 is
mostly working now but there are still some glitches here and there.

> Before that, I ran Red Hat Linux just to see what they were up to and
> I wasn't much impressed.  You couldn't even build a working kernel
> from the sources distributed with Red Hat 4.1 (something which RH
> admitted to) and stability was not all that marvelous - I managed to
> hang the system quite often just while playing with various X
> utilities.  Getting a reasonable set of sources for RedHat installed,
> after being used to our own /usr/src tree, was also a nightmare by
> comparison. :)

I just installed 4.2 (after living through the old days with 4.0/1) and
it worked pretty well.  A good milo is the key.

I look forward to working with XFree86 on FreeBSD as your work progresses...

robin
--
----
Robin Cutshaw         internet: robin@interlabs.com robin@intercore.com

    "Time is just one damn thing after another" -- PBS/Nova
----