Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:53:44 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.co.za>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed0 and isa cards on 4.x

> >Have anyone 4.x working with an ISA card and the ed0 device? I can't
> >believe that it can be broken for so long without anyone noticing. I
> >have been using 4.x on lots of machines here, but all of them with
> >pci ethernet cards.
> >
> >I have tried to install a recent 4.0 snap on a machine with a SMC8216
> >card, but everytime I got the dreaded "ed0 device timeout" message.
> >I have tried different interrupts, changed cards, but nothing helped.
> >I even tried it on another machine and had the same results. I even
> >tried 4.0-RELEASE, but got the same results. Then I tried 3.5-RELEASE
> >and that worked without a problem.
>
>    Hmmm. That's VERY weird. I'll see if I can find an ISA card around here
> and test it out in the lab. It definately sounds like an interrupt problem.
> Are you sure that you have your kernel config file right?

I'll go and double check. One of the configurations I tried was the
standard one (port 0x280 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000) so that I didn't
have to change anything when doing the install. The fact that I could
install 3.5 on it without changing anything convinced me that the
hardware was ok. :-) But maybe I'm wrong.

One thing though, I'm installing from the releases and snaps available
on internat, although in theory only the crypto should be different
and even that should be the same for the latest snaps.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za