Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 08:32:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ld-elf.so.1 on 3.2-STABLE breaks yppush

In article <19990518221639.A64601@internal>,
Andre Albsmeier  <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de> wrote:

> I am using one NIS master together with two slaves. With the
> upgrade to 3.2-STABLE, yppush fails when trying to update
> the maps on the slaves.
>
> After suspecting a bug in the NIS system first, it turned
> out that /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 is the reason for that.
>
> When replacing libexec/rtld-elf/rtld.c from 3.2-STABLE
> with version 1.13.2.7 it works again. Using 1.13.2.8,
> it breaks again. The cvs comment for the 1.13.2.8 commit
> says:
>
> ------------------- snip ---------------------------
>
> 1.13.2.8 Wed Apr 28 1:27:55 1999 UTC by jdp
> Branch: RELENG_3
> Diffs to 1.13.2.7
>
> MFC 1.21 -> 1.22: Initialize "__progname" and "environ" before
> calling _init() functions.
>
> ------------------- snap ---------------------------

That is very strange!  Could you please try an experiment for me?
One at a time, comment out these lines in rtld.c:

    set_program_var("__progname", argv[0] != NULL ? basename(argv[0]) : "");
    set_program_var("environ", env);

and try to find out which one is causing the problem.

And I'll have to issue my usual caution about messing with the
dynamic linker.  Make a copy of a known good dynamic linker, and
have it handy in /usr/libexec in case you run into problems.  If you
break the installed version, it's very handy to have a working one
all ready to "mv" back into place.  If you lose your dynamic linker,
then only statically linked programs will run.  (I know you already
know this Andre.  The caution is for the benefit of others. :-)

Thanks,
John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong