Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:41:04 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jack@sage-one.net>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routed daemon

At 12:08 PM 4.23.2002 -0500, Nick Rogness wrote:
>On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Jack L. Stone wrote:

>[SNIP]
>> >
>> >	You need to forward packets between interfaces which can be
>> >	accomlished by setting:   gateway_enable="YES"  in /etc/rc.conf
>> >	and reboot.
>> >
>> >	You can check the status of it by:
>> >
>> >	# sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding
>> >	net.inet.ip.forwarding: 1
>> >
>> >	It should say 1 not 0.
>> >

>> Hi, Nick: It indeed says "1"...... but, I do not have the routed
>> daemon set in rc.conf and wondered if this was the problem. Also,
>> server #2 is set to look to server #1 as the defaultrouter, but I do
>> not have gateway enabled on server #2... should it be...?? ...and
>> should the routed daemon be enabled to solve this barrier
>> problem....?? I'm just missing some simple setting and looking for
>> anything....
>

>	No, server #2 is not forwarding packets between interface and no,
>	routed will not help you (probably).

Man! Do I feel foolish! It was NOT a problem after all. If I go to another
computer not on my own network, it brings up the webserver #2 just as it is
supposed to. The packets ARE being forwarded properly from server #1, but
trying https://www.asafeserver.com (server #2) from my own station on the
LAN kept going to the main server #1 instead.

So, I had a friend in California (I'm in Texas) try the new server and it
came right up... soooo, I was trying to solve a problem I never had...!!!
Ouch! What a waste of time!

Thanks for the help anyway.....

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,