Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 1996 13:57:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: When is 2.2 Estimated to be released?

> > The fact that MS-DOS has a better fdisk program than FreeBSD is shameful.
> > While we're at it, how about integrating the booteasy functionality?
> > Personally, I miss Linux's LILO very much. Well, actually I still use it
> > instead of booteasy.
>
> I don't think LILO is anywhere near as good as booteasy.
> For one, there's only a Unix/Linux interface, AFAIK.

Yes, a graphical interface for configuring would be a big improvement
for LILO... but on the other hand, LILO's human readable configuration
file, where you can see exactly what you're telling it to do, is a big
improvement over the cryptic disklabel command.

> Another, is LILO doesn't give a menu (by default).

Uh, not a big deal. Press the tab key.

> I can boot everything but Linux with booteasy, across two HD's.
> Why do we need LILO ? :-)

I can boot everything, *including* FreeBSD, with LILO, across
two hard disks, one being IDE and the other SCSI.

I'm unconvinced that LILO isn't substantially better than booteasy.

-Archie

Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com