Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2013 23:26:16 GMT
From:      Jack Johnson <jforjackjohnson@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/182361: Suspend when using USB disc as root causes kernel panic(k), core not dumped

>Number:         182361
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       Suspend when using USB disc as root causes kernel panic(k), core not dumped
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
NOTE: Emacs notation for keyboard shortcuts used throughout
When I press C-M-Space on the keyboard, the kernel panics. Because this  disconnects the USB bus, core does not get dumped because I am using a USB hard drive.

To fix the problem, I recommend disabling suspend entirely when installation onto a USB hard disk is detected (somehow), also when detecting that we are using a USB stick.

C-M-Space is a very poor choice of keyboard shortcut, because it causes fatfingering with C-M-F1 through F9 which users coming from Linux and also users using X use, because that's what they are used to. This is compounded by my use of a SATA HDD in a USB enclosure, which I am sure is the setup of hundreds of other users who don't want to destroy their Linux installation.
>How-To-Repeat:
1. Install FreeBSD on any USB stick
2. Boot USB stick on certain newer computers (post about 2007)
3. Attempt to suspend
4. Kernel panick. You will see this as the computer glitching, suspending, and when it boots, fans run 100% for a few seconds and then system reboots.
>Fix:
To fix the problem, I recommend disabling suspend entirely when installation onto a USB hard disk is detected (somehow), also when detecting that we are using a USB stick.

UGLY HACK TO FIX:
# sed -i .funfun -e 's/susp/nop/g' /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/preferred.keymap.kbd