Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 19:13:58 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        John McNamee <jpm@microwiz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, mark@quickweb.com
Subject:   Re: Microsoft FrontPage server extensions (was: BSDI binary support)

John McNamee wrote in message ID
<199605171357.GAA24062@smoke.microwiz.com>:
> There is a problem with passwords.  The FrontPage fpsrvadm program appears to
> have DES crypt linked into it (I wonder if Microsoft ever considered the
> export implications?).

Probably not actually. There is now a lot of pressure in America to
revoke the crypto code restrictions, and I believe (from memory) that
one ``Bill Gore'' as made it an Presidential election issue that the
restrictions be at least lightened to allow 64bit DES to be exported,
if not totally banished.

Also, they may actually just export the code that uses the DES library
and use one of the internationally safe ones (like we basically do).

> By the way, I hear that Microsoft DOES NOT plan to release a Linux version of
> the FrontPage extensions.  ISP's using Linux for their web servers won't be
> able to support customers with FrontPage.  I expect FrontPage to become very
> popular with end-users who want to do their own web pages.  It's a good
> application at an attractive price, and of course it has Microsoft behind it.
> We might see some Linux-based ISP's switching to FreeBSD because of this.

Nice to hear :-)

Gary