Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:37:41 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        alexandr@hawk.pearson.udel.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jaz Woes?

In message <199610281552.KAA00744@hawk.pearson.udel.edu> Jerry
Alexandratos writes:
: I'm getting some flakey results, and I was wondering if someone could
: tell me where they think they're coming from.  Now, whenever I try to
: decompress a large file onto the Jaz drive, the file will uncompress,
: than after a few seconds, my machine will hang and reboot.  8(

I vaguely recall having to make sure parity was enabled on the Jaz
drive before it worked.  But that could have been any number of the
last 20 SCSI devices that I've put on the bus.  I do that
automatically w/o thought these days.  I'm using an UltraStor 34F
right now, so that is at least one difference.

Have you done the normal scsi checklist:
	Are you sure it is terminated?
	On both ends?
	Any extra termination?
	Repeat 1-3 until you are really really really sure :-)
	Are the cables good and tight and of good quality?  Have you
		tried reseating them?

Can you enable kernel core dumps (see dumpon if you don't have this in
your kernel) and find out where it is dying?

Warner