Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 02:38:58 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, purna@cs.shizuoka.ac.jp
Cc:        dfr@render.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help installing IDE CD-ROM driver

>> I tried accessing the drive by "mount -r /dev/wcd0c /cdrom". But, it failed.
>> On the console, the following messages appeared (YWP is the hostname):

>I think you should rather use

>	mount -t cd9660 /dev/wcd0a /cdrom

In 2.2-current, MAKEDEV only creates the 'c' partition.  This is
probably bogus.  The 'c' partition is actually the 'a' partition (it has
minor 0).  This is certainly bogus.  The wcd*) case is similar to the
cd*|mcd*|scd*) and should be merged.

The matcd*) case is not so similar.  There is a second set of `l'
(lockable) devices and the `c' partition is abused to provide a
different interface (this will have to be changed when all disk drivers
use the slice code.  I haven't been able to remove the old disklabel
support because beelyuns of cd drivers depend on it.  The slice code
doesn't do much for readonly disks, but it should save beelyuns of cd
drivers from duplicating support for label ioctls).

Bruce