Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 20:29:21 -0400
From:      Danny Dulai <nirva@ishiboo.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X-10 Mouse Remote patch

Quoting Mike Smith (mike@smith.net.au):
> > And it has NO business in moused whatsoever, its a hack and it doesn't
> > belong there. I'm sorry I havn't noticed this before, but its should be
> > ripped out ASAP, I would never have allowed it in there if I had
> > found out before.
>
> Actually, no.  The MouseRemote is a mouse, amongst other things, and
> it's specifically intended to be connected inline with mice.  As such,
> our protocol handler for mouse data streams is the correct place to put
> it.  Ripping it out without simultaneously coming up with an equally
> functional and architecturally 'better' solution is not going to endear
> you to anyone.
>
> I did actually propose to Randall the implementation of a stackable
> 'interception' layer, again to be managed by moused, however with only
> one device (so far) in this particular circumstance, it didn't seem
> worth the effort.

Right now, there is no way I can get the remote output that moused gives
to /var/run/MouseRemote, and still run other mice on moused, AND
having the remote's mouse functions disabled.

The mouse remote's rf receiver gets far too much interference and causes
my mouse pointer to jump around and buttons to be pressed randomly. The
remote is uesless without turning off the mouse support.

To solve this problem either add an option to moused to turn off mouse
messages (and rename moused to something better), or use the model I
suggested using remoted that splits mouse and remote events.

Randall has expierenced the problems I'm getting, and I assume most
others that have this remote do too. This is not a feature that '[isnt]
worth the effort', its a mandatory feature for functionality.