Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 1995 20:53:46 +0059 (MET)
From:      Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
To:        terry@uivlsi.csl.uiuc.edu (Terry Lee)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Emulex MD21 question

> 	By any chance is anyone here familiar with the Emulex MD21 ESDI->SCSI
> bridge?  I'm trying to use one with a 10MHz ESDI drive and a 15MHz ESDI drive.
> It does work, but the transfer rate to the 15MHz drive is only about 650KB/s.
> I measured the transfer rate by both dd and CORETEST (DOS benchmark).  It is
> as if the MD21 formats 15MHz drives with a 2:1 interleave.  Is this
> a limitation of the MD21?  Thanks for your time.

My "Emulex SCSI DISK CONTROLLER PROGRAMMING REFERENCE MANUAL" :-)
"The interleave factor may be specified during a format operation
(see the FORMAT UNIT command)."
FORMAT UNIT Command Descriptor Block:
Byte
0	4
1	Logical Unit Number | FmtDat | CmpLst | Defect List Format
2	Format Data Pattern
3	Interleave ( MSB )
4	Interleave ( LSB )
5	Vendor Unique | Reserved | Flag | Link

An interleave value of 0 or 1 requests that the target use its default
interleave ( 1:1 sequential ).
What you may see is the overhead of the poor 8031 that decodes the SCSI
commands, this thing was never fast :-).

The whole Manual from EMULEX
3545 Harbour Boulevard
Costa Mesa, California 92626
(714) 662-5600  TWX 910-595-2521

MD2352501 Rev A
May, 1986

Look at the Date, i don't know if the address is valid anymore :-).

	  ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe