Date:      Fri, 02 May 1997 17:06:37 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISP Terminal Server Remote Site Requirements

>>1) FreeBSD box with Cyclades Serial Ports and modems, will the box alone
>>  be able to support ISDN or USR X2 modems assuming I had a ISDN PRI
>>  coming in and will there be support for the PRI?  I heard for X2 that
>>  more than the modems is needed but also their server is needed?
>
>X2 will work on any digital line, ISDN lines are digital lines that also
>support ISDN. Perhaps all digital lines support ISDN with your telco.
>Any modem server can be used for X2 since the modems don't care whether
>the incoming connection is analog or digital (i.e. the modems look like
>"fast modems"), but to get the most out of it you will need the new Z series
>serial ports (to get compression bandwidth). Unfortunately there is no
>FreeBSD driver available for them yet. Therefore, some legwork or brainwork
>will be necessary to get Z-ports to work. On the other hand, how far away
>are we from using Linux drivers with FreeBSD? That would be awesome! :)
>
>Another question though. Can X2 modems accept 56k connections from Rockwell
>and Motorola (assuming them to be the 3rd player) modems?

I believe the only way to be able to handle X2 is with the USR Total
Control RACK... They have not licensed their code to anyone else... The way
the X2 and K.Flex standards work (which are not at all interoperable), is
that the receving end of the call must be some PRI type solution... For the
technologies to work, there must only be ONE analog to digital conversion
in the virtual circut between ends...i.e. an X2 home cant dial another X2
home and get 53K....

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *